Features from May 2021
- Gulf fishermen can take advantage of redfish around Biloxi Marsh in May. Here’s how a Gulf captain finds them and puts them in the boat.
- Where are north Louisiana’s top bass-fishing spots? Bossier City bass pro Nick LeBrun shares his favorite spots in north Louisiana.
- Very few fishing standards are as widely held and undeniably truer than fishing for bream around the full moon in May.
- Bream have an affinity for different kinds of structure on any body of water. Recognize them and have plenty of fun with a rod in hand.
- Shoreline protection systems have an added benefit to battling coastal losses: they provide great places for gamefish to ambush prey.
- Louisiana’s three-week spring squirrel season gives hunters a chance to test their dogs — and put some great game on the table.
Columns - May 2021
- When it comes to hunting deer, having a rifle in the right caliber and an appropriately constructed bullet can make all the difference.
- While good kayak fishing can be had year-round in coastal Louisiana, May could be the best month for comfort and variety.
- The Racket Blade, Stanley’s entry into the bladed jig market, is a rocket with plenty of racket attached to intrigue bass.
- Longnose gar are found almost everywhere. They are one of the most prehistoric fish swimming in North American waters.
- The Lake Pontchartrain Trestles show anglers exactly how speckled trout can use a piece of structure effectively.
Outdoor Updates - May 2021
- Three more 10-pound-plus largemouths were caught at Toledo Bend last weekend and entered into the Toledo Bend Lunker Bass Program.
- On March 20, Caney Lake Bass Club members Mark Hodge and Brice Jones mined Caney Lake for bass that tipped the scales in excess of 10 pounds.
- The 27th annual CCA Louisiana STAR will begin on Saturday, May 29. The tournament will span the summer, ending on Labor Day, Sept. 6.
- A victim of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in 2010, a brown pelican returned to Louisiana last month to Queen Bess Island in Barataria.
- Jeffrey Tall of Jennings landed a 10.81-pound Toledo Bend bass on March 18 and entered it in the Toledo Bend Lunker Bass Program.
- Herby Dauphinet of Many was fishing the Dylan Kyle Poche Memorial Bass Tournament when he caught a 10.79-pound bass.
- David Perales of Oakdale hooked this big 10.14-pound Toledo Bend bass from a tangled buck bush on April 9.
- On March 28, Dustin Chelette from Pineville caught two, double-digit, largemouth bass on back-to-back casts at Caney Lake.
- Chas Champagne, owner of Matrix Shad, caught a 6-pound, 25-inch speckled trout on Tuesday, April 6, in Lake Pontchartrain.
- Elmer Ernst of Orange, Texas, caught a great bass on March 26, 2021 in the Indian Creek area of Toledo Bend Reservoir.
Hot Spots - May 2021
- Bass pro Cliff Crochet points fishermen to moving water in Lake Verret in May. It’s the place to be during the first weeks after post-spawn.
- According to Capt. Keith “Herk” Bergeron, you should have plenty of shrimp for speckled trout bait around Grand Isle in May.
- Capt. Charlie Thomason with Bayou Charters catches gobs of redfish on points with fast-moving water this month near Hopedale.
- Break out your frog lures as May arrives at Toledo Bend. Grass is coming back and growing and that’s very, very promising.
- Bass fisherman Eric Ciko only needs to go a couple minutes from the launch to find fast bass action in the Pearl River Delta.
- During spring and early summer, the north and south revetment walls are one of the most-consistent and productive places on Sabine Lake.
Field Notes - May 2021
- We asked our friends at Puglia’s Sporting Goods in Metairie for great great gift ideas for the outdoors-loving mothers in our lives.
- Flounder are an often-overlooked inshore saltwater species, but they’re plenty worth of attention. A tandem-shrimp rig does the trick.
- Hayden Pinho was a three-time national high-school bass-fishing qualifier and now fishes for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- Larry Matherne, owner of DeeDee’s Taxidermy in Barataria, offers some tips for preserving a fish for mounting.