The curtain has drawn. The buzzer has sounded. Turn out the lights; the party’s over. Louisiana’s 2022-23 deer season has come to a close.
It was a good one, especially for dozens of hunters who got the trophy of a lifetime. Since the season opened, the Louisiana Sportsman has featured some amazing deer harvested in Louisiana. Since deer season cranked up last fall, our writers have detailed the stories of 25 big bucks harvested across the Bayou State that cracked the 150-inch barrier, and of those bucks, 10 eclipsed the 170-inch mark. Numerous other big racked bucks were scored at 140 or better. And even though the scores may not have been as high, hundreds of other hunters, young and old, got their buck and a treasured memory to go along with it.
This is our annual Deer of the Year edition. Congratulations to all those previously featured and those newly featured here. We hope our readers enjoy reading about the successful hunts in the following pages. And if you aren’t pictured here or in our Scrapbook pages, never give up on your dream of a trophy whitetail.
To get all the details on every single deer Louisiana Sportsman has covered this season and in past years, head to LouisianaSportsman.com/bigbucks.
- Moss Bluff hunter shoots big Beauregard Parish buck
- Second chance leads to fall of massive Ouachita buck
- Clayton racks up huge 12-point Catahoula buck
- Hoping for a doe; Dear downs monster buck
- Like father like son, big bucks fall 36 years apart
- Recovery is most difficult part in Ruddell claiming his buck
- Maness downs trophy buck from his back yard
- Minton tags impressive Catahoula 8-point
- Legendre gets two gifts from above; big bass and big buck
- Bad weather works in Lamonte’s favor in downing big buck
- Duck hunt leads Ouachita teen to trophy Russell Sage whitetail