Features from April 2022
- Terry Stewart and his family not only catch crappie on a regular basis, but they catch monster slabs in both Louisiana and Mississippi.
- Warren Womack of Clinton is a successful deer hunter who has written descriptions of his successful hunts full of facts and methods.
- Two good places to enjoy Toledo Bend are at the North Toledo Bend State Park near Zwolle and the South Toledo Bend State Park near Anacoco.
- When it comes to plastic baits, early season bass seem to like big and healthy creature baits. As spring wears on, consider downsizing.
- A trip to the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory of the University of Southern Mississippi to learn about speckled trout behavior.
- Anglers can catch redfish with spoons anywhere they can find the spot-tailed marauders. Spoons look so simple, but they still catch fish.
- Becky Nicosia, of Baton Rouge, La., is a talented archer who loves to turkey hunt and she prefers shooting them with her bow.
- The search for shed antlers in the spring gives more opportunity for Louisiana deer hunters to be in the field.
Columns - April 2022
- Kelly, Louisiana, is where Kinny Haddox’s grandparents used to live and where learned his first lessons of the outdoors.
- April trout aren’t typically the biggest of the year, but they’re ravenous for brown shrimp and a blast to catch.
- These fish cakes are similar to crab cakes. They make for either an excellent appetizer or even a main course meal.
- It took four to five months to design and tweak the lure, but today the Ike’s Mini Flip Jig is a favorite among bass fishermen.
- Fishing and hunting help keep life balanced for LSU’s Athletics Director Scott Woodward. He’s overjoyed to be back home in Louisiana.
- Sailfish are members of the billfish family and fisheries biologists believe they are the fastest swimming fish in the world.
- One way for inshore kayak fishermen to up their odds in April is to fish with the other live bait — cocahoe minnows.
Outdoor Updates - April 2022
- Jordan Hollingsworth caught a 10.27-pound Toledo Bend bass on Thursday, Feb. 24. He qualified for the Toledo Bend Lunker Bass Program.
- Mitchell Martin of Washington was fishing at Toledo Bend on March 3 when he caught a 10.58-pound bass on a watermelon red Senko.
- Adams gets second chance, puts …
- Paul Norwood of Baker was fishing at Toledo Bend on March 2 when he caught an 11.65-pound largemouth bass. with a Bandit 200 crankbait.
- Three Louisiana legislators pre-filed a bill for the upcoming legislative session to allow a state bear hunting season.
- Lake Charles fisherman Jared King and Denham Springs angler Michael LaGroue both landed 10-pound-plus Caney Lake bass on Feb. 26.
- Dusty Nomey caught a monster 13.21-pound largemouth bass on a Strike King chatterbait from Caney Lake on Feb. 27.
- Caleb Hollingsworth of DeQuincy was bass fishing at Toledo Bend when he boated a 10.93-pound lunker on March 4.
- Lafayette City firefighter Brandon Kidder was fishing on March 7 at Lake Martin when he hooked a bass weighing 11.1 pounds.
- Chatham’s Heath Kennedy had his personal best day on Caney Lake. He caught a five bass stringer weighing 37.94 pounds.
- Matthew Loestcher who guides for Living a Dream Guide Service out of Many landed a lunker bass at Toledo Bend on Feb. 19.
- The 42nd annual Louisiana Sportsman Show & Festival will be held at the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales.
- Shane Hodge was fishing at Bussey Brake Reservoir on Feb. 27 when he caught a big 3.65-pound white crappie that will be second in the state.
- Gasoline prices are skyrocketing and while it hits everybody, every day, sportsmen are really feeling the pinch when it comes to fishing.
- This Bayou Lafourche restoration project helps improve the connection of the Mississippi River and the Lafourche basin.
- Diversions are designed to mimic the natural land-building ability of the river prior to levees and jetties blocking water and sediment.
- Buncy Seago was fishing with his sons, Jerrod and Shayne, in the Six Mile area of Toledo Bend when he caught a 10.13-pound bass on Feb. 20.
- Starting June 1, 2022 hunters under the age of 18 must have a valid, original “youth license” to hunt deer and turkeys in the state.
Hot Spots - April 2022
- There are trout right now in the marsh and this is when the fishing action in the Biloxi Marsh starts getting good.
- Jacob Wheeler, the reigning MLF Angler of the Year, said a jerkbait will still work this month at Caney Lake.
- Now that spring is here, Charter Boat Captain Vince Theriot is ready for the red-hot redfish fishing at Calcasieu Lake.
- Jared Lintner says there is a lot of brush around boat docks and out in front of them that hold bass at Lake D’Arbonne.
- April should offer a good chance to catch some really nice Toledo Bend bass and especially a bragging-size bass.
- Bradley Roy points out that even the slightest depth changes at Bussey Brake can be one of the keys to finding and catching largemouths.
Field Notes - April 2022
- Denham Springs High School’s Blake Verberne and Caleb Roblin have established themselves as heavyweights in high school fishing in Louisiana.
- Growing your own bait is easy and really doesn’t require much effort. Save yourself time and money on your next fishing trip.