With hunting season in the books, it’s time to make plans to bring your bucks to the Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest, scheduled for March 15-17.
Even if your deer mount isn’t complete, you can make arrangements with your taxidermist to bring the antlers to the contest, which is being hosted by the Quality Deer Management Association’s South Louisiana Branch and sponsored by Bowie Outfitters.
Deer may be dropped off beginning Friday, March 15, but must be entered no later than 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 16. No deer will be accepted before Friday.
Winners will be named in the following categories:
- Best Louisiana Gun
- Best Louisiana Bow
- Best Out-of-State Gun
- Best Out-of-State Bow
- Muzzleloader or Crossbow
- Best Mississippi Gun
- Best Mississippi Bow
Check out the prizes!
All Big Buck entries have the chance to WIN the Grand Prize!
- Custom Plaque
- Commemorative Bowie Knife
- $100 Gift Certificate to Bowie Outfitters
Best Louisiana Gun wins
Best Louisiana Archery wins
Bucks entered in any previous Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest are not eligible.
All entries will be displayed on the Big Buck Contest wall until the winners are announced March 17.
Big Buck Contest rules
- All legally killed, free-range bucks shot during the 2018-19 season and those deer from the 2017-18 season that have not been officially scored or previously entered in this contest are eligible for entry in any of the seven categories: Best Louisiana Gun, Best Louisiana Bow, Best Out-of-State Gun, Best Out-of-State Bow, Ladies, Youth, /Crossbow.
- All bucks beyond the 60-day drying period will receive an official Boone & Crockett or Pope & Young score.
- Any buck killed within the previous 60 days will be scored and entered in the contest, but the score will not be official.
- Only free-range whitetails from any of the 50 U.S. states are eligible.
- Bucks killed with primitive arms that aren’t true muzzleloaders will be entered in the gun categories.
- Youth category entrants must have been 15 or younger at the time of the kill.
- Bucks killed before the contest period may still be brought in for scoring but will not be eligible for the contest or the random drawing.
- Bucks must be brought in during show hours Friday or before 6 p.m. Saturday to be eligible for the contest. NOTE: No entries accepted before Friday.
- Racks must remain at the show until 2 p.m. Sunday, and may not be removed before that time.
- Louisiana Sportsman reserves the right to add or alter rules at its discretion.