On Saturday, March 26, New Orleans City Park hosted the 73rd annual Big Bass Rodeo and Fishtival, with over 500 anglers competing for the championship title. Throughout the day, many anglers brought in 2 and 3-pound bass to the scales.
Angler Scott Daigle brought in a first-place-worthy largemouth bass weighing 5.57 pounds, earning him top honors for the day and the Joe Courcelle Award. The Paul Kalman award for the Junior Angler’s Bass Division went to Joeseph Alcina for his 3.23-pound bass. Team Camo continues to keep their presence on the Cichlid and Bream Trim Team Challenge leaderboard with a combined weight of 6.56 pounds.
For the fourth year, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries hosted the student angler competition, Battle for the Bass. Fourteen different schools battled it out to earn the title and bragging rights for the upcoming year. The Castin’ Crusaders Gold from Brother Martin High School beat out 30 other teams with a winning two-fish combined weight of 5.19 pounds.
Boats on the Bayou continued to bring experienced kayak anglers to Bayou St. John, but also encouraged novices as well. Courtesy of Massey’s Outfitters, interested anglers were able to rent a kayak free of charge during the event. Participants could place in two different categories, and the 2022 winner of the Kaye Florane Award and largest bass went to Luke Beslin with a weight of 4.19 pounds.
A complete list of winners is available below. For more information on Big Bass Rodeo, go to www.bigbassfishingrodeo.com.
Boats on the Bayou
- 1st Place: Melanie Chacon wt. 0.41 bream
- 2nd Place: Melanie Chacon wt. 0.15 bream
- 1st Place Kaye Florane Award: Luke Beslin wt. 4.19
- 2nd Place: Zachary Zimmermann wt. 2.39
- 3rd Place: Wilson Marsh wt. 1.59
Battle for the Bass:
- 1st Place: Brother Martin– Castin’ Crusaders Gold wt. 5.19 Travis Haworth, William Plunkett, Sam Haworth
- 2nd Place: Northshore High School –Lunker Loco wt. 4.70
- 3rd Place: Jesuit – C Triple D wt. 4.51
Big Bass Rodeo
Cichlid & Bream Trim (Team Event) Category:
- 1st Place: Team Camo wt. 6.56
- 2nd Place: Team Henderson wt. 3.89
- 3rd Place: Team Hase wt. 2.99
Champions Challenge Category:
- 1st Place: Douglas Blanda wt. 3.69
Jr. Angler – Bream, Cichlid & Perch Category:
- 1st Place: Remy Lips wt. 0.27
- 2nd Place: Eddie McCarthy wt. 0.21
- 3rd Place: Remy Lips wt. 0.14
Jr. Angler – Bass Category:
- 1st Place Paul Kalman Award: Joseph Alcina wt. 3.23
- 2nd Place: Peyton Barrett wt. 1.69
- 3rd Place: Levi Lavarine wt. 1.22
Adult – Bass Category:
- 1st Place Joe Courcelle Award: Scott Daigle wt. 5.57
- 2nd Place: Justin Landry wt. 4.41 BFB
- 3rd Place: Luke Greer wt. 3.94
JOIN THE CLUB, get unlimited access for $2.99/month
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Louisiana Sportsman Magazine and LouisianaSportsman.com.