Features from May 2023
- Of all the people who fished the last CCA STAR season, no one had a mangrove snapper as big as the 14.05-pounder hooked by Gary Trahan.
- Whether you’re looking to fish a tournament or simply have the urge to catch a big catfish, give the Atchafalaya River a try.
- The 2022-23 deer season was quite challenging and perplexing. The common theme was that we are not seeing the deer we always do.
- We take a look at the entire coast from east to west to see what makes Louisiana’s coastal saltwater fishing the best!
- Crappie will settle on the very bottom, literally in the mud. Three pros share their thoughts on how to dig them out.
- Kinny Haddox shares the Top 10 items he wanted to take home from the 44th annual Louisiana Sportsman Show and Festival.
Columns - May 2023
- This year, Louisiana’s offshore fishermen will have the chance to take red snapper every day of the week beginning May 26, 2023.
- Is social media is the greatest thing to ever happen to hunting, fishing and the outdoors or is social media ruining them.
- Todd Masson likes to study maps for a day or two before a trip, put together a loose plan and execute it in marsh that he's never fished.
- May offers great fishing for Louisiana kayak anglers, whether you choose to pursue fresh or saltwater species.
- Derek Hudnall of Baton Rouge has been using that Spunk Shad as a trailer for about a year and it has paid big dividends.
- If you were lucky enough to bag a few deer this season, take out a pack of ground meat and get to cooking this Sloppy Doe recipe.
- The Eastern wild turkey is one of the largest gamebirds in North America and is a prized bird among hunters.
- Scooter Lacoste of Morganza has been raccoon hunting for 45 years and has some advice for those wanting to get started in coon hunting.
Outdoor Updates - May 2023
- Danny Diel of Bastrop was fishing at Bussey Brake on April 3 when he hooked a giant 13.84-pound bass out of a flooded bush.
- High school bass anglers Mason McCormick and Alexis Virgillito caught five bass weighing 37.13 pounds March 18 at Caney Lake.
- The CCA Louisiana Statewide Tournament and Angler’s Rodeo (STAR), presented by Chevron, begins on May 27, 2023.
- Two 11-pound-plus bass were caught by Glenmora High School's Shawn Pender on March 25 at Indian Creek Reservoir.
- On March 25, Brendon Sonnier pulled in a 10.44-pound largemouth bass to his father’s boat on Toledo Bend Reservoir.
- Michael Boudin of Prairieville caught his personal best bass, a 13.60-pound lunker, at Toledo Bend on April 11.
- Grand Isle is responsible for Brad Felkins becoming a saltwater fishing addict. A fishing trip with his fiancée, Tay, is one of his favorites.
- Michael Crapanzano and Chris Davis of Hammond were fishing at Bussey Brake Reservoir in March when they each caught 11-pound lunker bass.
- Tater Reynolds of Florien landed his second 12+ pound bass at Toledo Bend during a Game Changers tournament on March 18, 2023.
- The 2023 Louisiana red snapper season will begin May 26 with a three-fish bag limit, 16-inch minimum total length.
- George Tassin, Jr. of Slidell pulled in a gold-colored flathead catfish from Doubloon Bayou on April 7, 2023.
Hot Spots - May 2023
- Larry Doiron of Morgan City points people to the bream fishing hotspots in and around Bayou Cheramie this month.
- With large numbers of baitfish that trout and redfish alike are gorging on this time of year, slicks are a productive means of locating fish.
- The word from Capt. Don Maille is for Hopedale anglers to head to the bigger outside bays for the best May fishing action.
- It’s a great time to throw topwaters at the bass in May at Toledo Bend. It’s just a fun time to chase bass that are chasing the bream.
Field Notes - May 2023
- As a freshman, Dylan Breaux, who is now a sophomore, got the Nicholls State University Bass Federation team going again.
- Anchored by three pristine lakes with incredible places to hike, swim, relax, or fish, Branson, Missouri, is a great place for family fun.
- The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is considering declaring the ivory-billed woodpecker to be extinct. A final decision is expected any time.