The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is accepting bids for alligator hunting on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) properties and state wildlife refuges for the 2022-2024 alligator harvest seasons through June 30.
Eligible alligator hunters are chosen through a bid system every three years on selected WMAs/Refuges/USACE properties.
Bids for alligator hunting will be solicited for the following WMAs/Refuges/USACE properties: Grassy Lake, Spring Bayou, and Pomme de Terre (Avoyelles Parish), Attakapas (Iberia, St. Martin and St. Mary parishes), Sherburne – USACE lands (Iberville, Pointe Coupee and St. Martin parishes), Dewey W. Wills (La Salle and Catahoula parishes), Manchac (St. John Parish), Pearl River – North of Interstate 10, Pearl River – Between Interstate 10 and U.S. Hwy 90 and Pearl River – South of U.S. Hwy. 90 (St. Tammany Parish), Joyce (Tangipahoa and Livingston parishes), Maurepas Swamp (St. John, St. James, Ascension, and Livingston parishes), Indian Bayou – USACE property (St. Landry and St. Martin parishes), Atchafalaya Delta (St. Mary Parish), Pointe-aux-Chenes (Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes), Salvador (St. Charles Parish), Pass-a-Loutre (Plaquemines Parish) and St. Tammany Refuge (St. Tammany Parish).
A total of 36 alligator hunting opportunities are available for bid on 13 WMAs, one Refuge and two USACE properties. The number of alligator tags that will be issued to successful bidders in 2022 will range from 10-90 tags depending on the area awarded. For specific details on the number of alligator hunter opportunities and tags available by area, please see the bid application notification.
Interested participants may review and print out the bid application notification and form from LDWF’s website at https://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/
No guiding/outfitting activities for sport alligator hunting will be allowed while conducting alligator harvest activities on WMAs/Refuges/USACE properties. Selected hunters will not be allowed to participate in any television or reality show production. Any video activity must be specifically approved by the alligator program manager and area manager.
An individual can apply and bid on more than one WMA/Refuge/USACE property but will only be selected for one WMA/Refuge/USACEproperty.
Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to submit a bid:
- Must be a Louisiana resident at least 18 years of age.
- Must have previous alligator hunting experience in Louisiana.
- Must be able to provide essential equipment for alligator hunting on the WMA/USACE property/refuge on which they are bidding.
- Must be able to report to the WMA/Refuge/USACE property each morning until alligator tag quota is completed.
- Must follow specific instructions issued by LDWF personnel.
- Must maintain required records.
- Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check. All applicants will be screened for past wildlife and criminal violations. Applicants with felony convictions, that pled guilty to a felony or that have pled guilty, paid a fine for, negotiated/agreed to a pretrial intervention (PTI)/diversion for or been convicted of Class Two or above wildlife, WMA/Refuge/USACE or littering violations within the last five years, as determined by the LDWF enforcement division, shall be disqualified.
Completed bid application forms must be received in P.O. Box 62250, Lafayette, LA 70596 or in Room 1009 of the LDWF Office at 200 Dulles Drive, Lafayette, LA 70506 by 10 a.m. on June 30, 2022.
Bid opening will be held on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 a.m. at the LDWF Lafayette Office Building, 1st Floor Conference Room #1002, 200 Dulles Drive, Lafayette, LA 70506. Winning bidders will be notified of selection by phone and are required to come in and sign a contract at a later date. LDWF reserves the right to reject any and all bids.
For more information, please call the appropriate LDWF office (Lafayette Coastal WMAs/Refuges 337-735-8667, Lafayette Non-Coastal WMAs 337-735-8682, Pineville 318-487-5885, Hammond 985-543-4777) or send e-mail to LAalligatorprogram@wlf.la.gov.
JOIN THE CLUB, get unlimited access for $2.99/month
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Louisiana Sportsman Magazine and LouisianaSportsman.com.