Almost $500,000 in prizes are up for grabs for tagged reds, big specks
Want to make your love for saltwater fishing really pay off?
That could happen in CCA Louisiana’s 26th annual STAR Tournament, which runs from May 23-Sept. 7, being that prizes offered include a Chevy pickup, a Keystone RV, a dozen boats and prizes approaching $500,000.
“With everything going on in the world, one thing all anglers can enjoy is some social distancing, and what better way than going fishing for a half-million dollars in prizes,” said Rad Trascher, tournament director for STAR.
The STAR (Statewide Tournament and Anglers Rodeo) Tournament is open to all members of CCA Louisiana and its youth organization, the New Tide. Entry fees are $35 for adults. Entry blanks can be obtained at any of the 30 weigh stations or at www.ccastar.com.
CCA has tagged and released 100 redfish in state waters. A tagged fish that’s caught and turned in at one of the weigh stations will be eligible for one of 10 fantastic prizes. The angler who catches the first tagged red will win a Chevy Silverado pickup, the second a Keystone RV, third through fifth 195XTS NauticStars with 115hp Mercury four-stroke outboards, and sixth through 10th 1754 GatorTail Extreme Series boats with 40hp EFI motors.
Louisiana coastal waters will be divided into four divisions for the event: West, Southwest, Southeast and East.
The heaviest speckled trout caught in the tournament will earn the lucky angler a 2140 Sport NauticStar with 150hp Mercury four-stroke outboard. The next three heaviest specks, one per division, will win a 195XTS NauticStar with 115hp Mercury four-stroke outboard. Second-heaviest trout in each division will receive a $5,000 tackle package, and the third-heaviest trout in each division will receive a $2,500 tackle package.
In addition Louisiana Sportsman is offering a $10,000 bonus for any magazine subscriber who catches a tagged fish, to be divided equally among those who qualify and catch a tagged fish.
Prizes awarded in a number of other divisions
- The heaviest mangrove snapper, cobia, dorado and red snapper will win a $5,000 tackle package.
- The heaviest sheepshead in the Western and Eastern regions will win $1,500 Academy gift cards.
- Fly-fishermen will be eligible for $1,500 Academy gift cards for the heaviest trout caught in the Western and Eastern regions.
- The heaviest speck caught by a kayak angler will win a Hobie Mirage kayak.
- The heaviest flounder will win a 16-foot Weldbilt boat with a 40hp Mercury four-stroke outboard.
- Entries in the Ladies Division will win a $2,500 travel voucher for the heaviest specks caught in the Eastern and Western regions.
- The heaviest speck caught by a bank fishermen will win a 16-foot Weldbilt boat with a 40hp Mercury four-stroke outboard.
- In the Youth Division for anglers ages 17 and under, four anglers who enter flounder or trout in the contest will be entered in a random drawing for a 14-foot aluminum boat with a 15hp Mercury outboard and a McClain trailer.
- The heaviest speck caught, weighed and released from Calcasieu Lake will win a $500 Academy gift card.
For more information, visit ccastar.com.