Features from April 2023
- The distance between rigs keeps many inshore anglers from focusing on them as their primary speckled trout fishing destination.
- In the spring, giant redfish gather in large, marauding schools that go on a ruthless rampage through the shallow bays along the coast.
- John Guillot has a mixture that is great for the East Pearl River because the sac-a-lait can always use some extra help with finding lures.
- Michael Lavarine of Metairie said there’s no other place he’d rather be when fishing for speckled trout, than fishing under the birds.
- Living the Dream Guide Service on Toledo Bend has fulfilled fishing hopes and dreams of more than 100,000 anglers that wanted to go fishing.
- A turkey you’ve hunted and tried all the turkey hunting tricks on without success means you’ll have to think outside the box to take him.
- Tips for taking a tom turkey that’s hung up, gobbling his head off, not coming within gun range and driving you crazy.
Columns - April 2023
- With the technological advancement of forward-facing sonar, anglers don’t have to cast and hope for bites to prove their hypotheses correct.
- It’s been five years since Kinny Haddox's old fishing buddy, Stan Wright, passed on, but he will never forget their outdoor adventures.
- Mild days and hungry fish make a great combination for kayak fishing. Early spring is a great time for catching speckled trout and redfish.
- Egret Baits designers wanted to build a “shad-style” bait with a boot tail and went all in on that early last year with the Quiver Shad.
- With turkey season in full swing, you will want to give this Tuscan Wild Turkey Pasta dish a try and impress all of your friends and family.
- Joe Macaluo believes we’ve taken that step into making our fishing adventures about having to catch more than really fishing.
Outdoor Updates - April 2023
- It took her 10 years, but Jacy Cobb landed the fish of a lifetime on Monday, Feb. 27. The big bass weighed 10.4 pounds.
- An advisory committee formed by the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commissioners will gather ideas for speckled trout management measures.
- Ryan Brunk, Tony Coburn and Lane Masters were three of five anglers that caught double-digit lunker bass at Toledo Bend on Feb. 18.
- Four more lunker largemouth bass brought to 21 the number of double-digit bass entered in the Toledo Bend Lunker Program.
- Benton Humphries, 11, was fishing with Hunter Sims of Mayhem Fishing when he caught a 10.28-pound bass on Feb. 26 at Kincaid Lake in Boyce.
- Lane Martin of Paulina was fishing at Bussey Brake on Feb. 20 when he landed a 11.92-pound largemouth bass.
- Justin Martin caught a 9-pound bass and a 12.02-pound monster lunker at Bussey Brake Reservoir on Feb. 19.
- Todd Herrington of Bastrop was fishing at Bussey Brake on Feb. 14 when he hooked a 13.58-pound bass that broke the 2-year-old lake record.
- Bill Cook of Houston, Tex., caught a 15.67-pound lunker bass at Toledo Bend on Feb. 11. It is the lake's new record.
- Robert Rush of Crossett, Ark., hooked a 26-inch long, 15.36-pound bass on Feb. 26 that is the new Bussey Brake record bass.
- A 3.76 pound white crappie caught by Jeremie Reeves at Bussey Brake Reservoir is the second-biggest white crappie ever caught in the state.
- These seven double-digit bass caught at Toledo Bend prove you don’t have to have a fancy, fully rigged boat to catch big largemouths.
- Three more double-digit bass were boated, bringing to 41 the number of fish qualifying for the Toledo Bend Lunker Bass Program.
- James Cooley of DeQuincy and Brian Phelps of DeRidder both caught double-digit bass at Toledo Bend on Feb. 24.
- Toledo Bend Reservoir continued to spit out huge largemouth bass as the calendar flipped from February to March.
- While the number of entries at the 2023 Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales was somewhat low compared to past years, the quality of bucks entered was excellent.
Hot Spots - April 2023
- Judge Tommy Duplantier said his favorite sac-a-lait fishing holes in April are off Bayou Cheramie, particularly Logan’s Canal.
- The movement of speckled trout can be tough for some anglers, but Cocodrie guide Capt. Tommy Pellegrin uses this time to his advantage.
- The shad spawn at Toledo Bend is a significant event that appeals to all bass anglers, especially those fishing tournaments.
- Fishing the birds is an exciting and fast paced way to catch speckled trout at Sabine Lake in the early spring.
Field Notes - April 2023
- Samuel Cobb Jr. and Destin Morales already are double-qualifiers for this year’s Louisiana High School B.A.S.S. Nation State Championship.
- Overharvesting and habitat destruction may lead to the alligator snapping turtle being put on the threatened species list.
- Lake Fork, Texas, is still a major player in the bass fishing game. And now it is just about as popular for crappie fishermen.
- Tensas River National Wildlife Refuge is a popular destination for hunters, fishermen, birdwatchers and wildlife photographers.