LDWF leases four fields to provide public dove hunting, WMAs also available.
Public dove hunting will be available at four fields this Saturday (Sept. 3) for the dove-season opener, the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries announced.
LDWF has leased property in the following parishes for Sept. 3 only, with hunting taking place from noon to sunset:
• Beauregard Parish (DeRidder) – 500 acres of shredded or cut corn
The field is approximately five miles west of DeRidder on the north side of Hwy 190. Check-in will be at the rice dryers.
• Grant Parish – 310 acres of harvested milo
To reach this field, exit Interstate 49 at Boyce and travel north on Highway 8 across the Red River. Turn left after bridge and follow the levee road less than a mile. Signs will be prominently visible.
• Jefferson Davis Parish (Welsh) – 325 acres of partially plowed fallow field, planted in rice last year
This field can be reached by exiting I-10 at Exit 59 at Roanoke. Head north on Highway 395, and then turn west (left) on Blanchard Road. Follow Blanchard Road to Compton Road, and the field is located on the southwest corner of Blanchard and Compton roads.
• Rapides Parish (Dream Hunts Resort) – 100 acres planted in browntop millet.
This field is located at the intersection of Highway 3170 and Highway 1 next to Elbow Slough WMA.
Each of these fields will be open to public dove hunting on Sept. 3 only, and LDWF personnel will be present at the field to issue permits and monitor the hunt.
Hunters 16 years of age and older will be charged $10 to hunt, while hunters 15 years of age and younger will hunt for free. Permits will be issued on a first-come, first-serve basis until each field is filled.
Additionally, LDWF provides public dove hunting opportunities on state wildlife management areas including:
• Bayou Pierre WMA in northwest Red River Parish
• Big Colewa WMA in West Carroll Parish
• Boeuf WMA (Caldwell Parish)
• Clear Creek WMA (Vernon Parish)
• Elbow Slough WMA (southeastern Rapides Parish)
• Floy McElroy WMA (Richland Parish)
• Fort Polk WMA (Vernon Parish)
• Loggy Bayou WMA (Bossier Parish)
• Red River WMA (Concordia Parish)
• Sandy Hollow WMA (Tangipahoa Parish)
• West Bay WMA (Allen Parish)
Subscribe now, get unlimited access for $19.99 per year
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Louisiana Sportsman Magazine and LouisianaSportsman.com.