The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) adopted notices of intent for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 hunting seasons, 2022-23 general and Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) hunting seasons and rules and regulations, 2023 general and WMA turkey hunting season and rules and regulations and 2022-23 migratory bird hunting season and rules and regulations at its January meeting Thursday, Jan. 6.
The notices of intent include proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) for the upcoming hunting seasons and provide for a public comment period.
Some of the proposed changes include:
- Addition of electronic tag and validation procedures for hunting deer in Louisiana. This proposal would allow hunters to have either a picture of their tags or electronic tags while hunting to be legal.
- Addition of electronic tag and validation procedures for hunting turkeys in Louisiana. This proposal would allow hunters to have either a picture of their tags or electronic tags while hunting to be legal.
- Change in WMA camping regulations that will require a WMA camping permit for users that camp on WMAs.
- Establishing a limited use area on Bodcau WMA to provide a safety zone around the Bodcau shooting range.
- Addition of a primitive firearm either-sex day on Camp Beauregard WMA.
- Addition of a youth lottery turkey hunting day on Clear Creek WMA.
- Elimination of either-sex primitive firearms days on Joyce WMA. It is proposed to eliminate nine either-sex primitive firearms days and make these days bucks-only.
- Elimination of either-sex primitive firearms days on Maurepas Swamp WMA. It is proposed to eliminate nine either-sex primitive firearms days and make these days bucks-only.
- Proposal to prohibit fishing, crabbing and cast netting or any other activities or trespassing on water control structures on Pointe-Aux-Chenes WMA.
- Elimination of seven days of firearms bucks only days for deer on Pomme de Terre WMA. This is due to concerns of declining deer population.
- Change archery season dates on Tunica Hills WMA to mirror outside deer area season. This will add 15 days of increased opportunity
- Addition of a youth lottery turkey hunting day on West Bay WMA.
- Proposal to open all of Caddo Parish to turkey hunting.
To view the full notice of intent and all proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes for the upcoming hunting seasons, go to https://www.wlf.louisiana.
Public comment will be accepted through 4 p.m. on March 3, 2022. It will also be accepted at LWFC monthly meetings from now through March 3. Comments may be submitted directly to Tommy Tuma, LDWF Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA. 70898-9000 or 225-765-2349 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
LDWF will also hold a public meeting on the NOI either via Zoom or in person at a date and time to be announced at the February Commission meeting.
JOIN THE CLUB, get unlimited access for $2.99/month
Become the most informed Sportsman you know, with a membership to the Louisiana Sportsman Magazine and LouisianaSportsman.com.