Entry is free, read complete contest rules here
There are even more reasons for entering your deer in the 2015 Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest, with an expanded list of prizes up for grabs in this year’s event.
The contest, which is free and hosted by the Louisiana Chapter of the Quality Deer Management Association, offers all adult entrants chances to win category titles and a shot at a Yamaha 350 Grizzly ATV to be given away in a random drawing on Sunday, March 15. You must be at least 18 years old to win the ATV.
The 36th Annual Louisiana Sportsman Show will be held March 12-15 at the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales.
Categories for the Big Buck Contest are:
• Best Louisiana Gun
• Best Mississippi Bow
• Best Louisiana Bow
• Best Mississippi Gun
• Best Out-of-State Gun
• Best Out-of-State Bow
• Muzzleloader or Crossbow
In addition to the ATV, a $500 Bowie Outfitters gift coupon donated by the QDMA state chapter will be given to one of the adult category winners through a random drawing.
And the hunters entering the largest typical and non-typical bucks will each receive a $360 custom-made Arno Bernard knife.
Also, the winner of the youth division will receive a $200 Bowie Outfitters gift certificate donated by David Moreland.
All bucks killed during the 2014-15 season are eligible, as are those from 2013-14 that have not been officially scored or entered in last year’s contest.
Bucks killed in prior seasons may be brought in for scoring and display, but are not eligible for prizes.
To be eligible for prizes, deer must be entered during show hours on either Friday, March 13, or from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 14. All entries will be displayed on the Big Buck Contest wall until winners are announced March 15.
2015 Official Big Buck Contest Rules
1. Legally killed bucks shot during the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons are eligible for entry in any of the eight categories: Best Louisiana Gun, Best Louisiana Bow, Best Mississippi Gun, Best Mississippi Bow, Best Out-of-State Gun, Best Out-of-State Bow, Youth, Muzzleloader/Crossbow.
2. Bucks previously entered into this contest but not officially scored can be entered and receive official scores, but are ineligible for prizes.
3. All bucks beyond the 60-day drying period will receive an official B&C score.
4. Any buck killed within the previous 60 days will be scored and entered in the contest, but the score will not be official.
5. Only free-range whitetails from any of the 50 U.S. states are eligible.
6. Bucks killed with primitive arms that aren’t true, front-end-loading muzzleloaders will be entered in the Gun categories.
7. Youth category entrants must have been 15 or younger at the time of the kill.
8. A random drawing will be held among all bucks entered in the contest by adults, with the winner receiving a Yamaha ATV.
9. Bucks killed before the contest period may still be brought in for scoring, but will not be eligible for the contest or the random drawing.
10. Bucks must be brought in during show hours Friday or before 6 p.m. Saturday to be eligible for the contest and random drawing.
11. Racks must remain at the show until 2 p.m. Sunday, and may not be removed before then.
12. Louisiana Sportsman reserves the right to add or alter rules at its discretion.
* Must be 18 or older to win the ATV.