Please Sign In


New To Sportsman Network?

WARNING to Cricket Rifle Owners

Reply
 
I want as many people as possible to know about this accident to my 7 year old chap this past weekend. First of all I'm not bashing any product, I just don't want anymore injuries until there's more info. The rifle was a 22 cricket. Ammo was Remington. Bottom line the gun/ammo misfired which it vents out the left side of the gun on the barrel and it caught his thumb resulting in a very tragic accident. He's having surgery Wed. to remove the shrapnel from the bone.I own two of these guns and love them. I taught my boys how to shoot with these and they went on to be a very good shot. I can email anyone the pics or give more details. Please pass this on because its camp time and alot of young kids have these guns with tons of the cheap ammo to burn up. Please see the rest of the pics further down on another post.
Reply
Unfortunate
Man that looks painful. I hope the little mans thumb makes a full recovery. Ive never seen or even heard of that happening before. Best wishes on the surgery and recovery.
Reply
MAN THAT HURT
Definatly not a gun for the youngster this is why I buy remington or browning for my boys 22 and up. I sure hope he makes a full recovery.
Reply
wow
that second picture tells it all!!
Reply
??
I don't understand what happened??

crack barrel, bolt, semi-auto ???
Reply
Ammo Malfunction
I just had a Rem Mod 7400 30-06 w/ winchester ammo do almost the same thing but i wasn't injured bad thank God... I was setting the scope, it was my first shot and the casing of the bullet blew out the back close to the primer. It blew the whole inside action and slide out of the gun on the ground. I got a lil powder burn on my face and arm, i was wearing shooting glasses. It bent some of the steel parts and damaged the clip, lucky the other bullets in the clip didn't go off as well... Just my two bits... Hope your lil man recovers well...
Reply
?
O wow!!....anybody wanna buy two Crickets?jj any chance this was an ammo failure and not the gun?
Reply
poor kid
For those that don't know, the Cricket is a single shot bolt action .22. It is very small, and thus perfect for a first gun for young kids. Many of you know that I sell guns and ammo. Last year, something I never thought about was brought to my attention by a coworker. This coworker is a gun collector, enthusiast, Certified Instructor by LDWF, etc. He's an older guy, with decades of experience. One day last summer, he called me over to look at a few boxes of 9mm ammo from a shipment we had just received. In transit, a couple boxes were banged up, like something had fallen on them. Jimmy pulled out a few rounds from a damaged box, then pulled a few out of a clean box. He said 'Look at these bullets side by side, and tell me what you see.' I looked and said 'The bullet on the rounds from the busted box is pushed down into the casing further than the rounds from the good box.' He says, 'Yep, can you imagine how much more pressure is created when that round is fired? It could cause a catastrophic failure and kill or injure someone.'
Whenever we get ammo in, and the box is damaged, we put a red damage sticker on it, and send it back. We don't even bother to examine the ammo, it's not worth taking the chance.

So, when you buy rifle or pistol ammo, if the box looks busted up, ask for a box that isn't.

This may have nothing to do with your boy, but I hope it helps someone else from being injured.

When I get to work today, I'm gonna take a closer look at the action on the Cricket.
Reply
so sorry
Man i am so sorry for your sons pain. Please explain to me more about where the break to place did the barrell burst did the gun just vent and spew out shell caseing around were the barrell closes. I have a cricket. again i am so sorry.
Reply
This is an unfortunate accident
This is an unfortunate accident. It was not a gun failure in my opinion. Most rifle's have a vent hole on the side of the chamber in case of a ruptured case. It directs the hot gasses away from the shooters face. Unfortunately it appears his thumb was over the vent hole when this happened. The resulting case rupture could be from a plugged barrel or an over charged round. It is possible the previous fired round was a squib load which the projectile didn't exit the barrel. When the next round was fired the pressure had to go somewhere since the barrel was plugged. The case ruptured and vented. Squib rounds are common in 22lr.
Reply
Thumb Update
The surgery went well this morning and only the good Lord knows how it will end up. If anyone wants more details feel free to call me. 225-572-3899. If this saves 1 person from it happening to them,I'll feel like I've done my part.
Reply
Update
It's almost been three years since the accident and I've had numerous calls from people all over the country with this same scenario happing to them. Not quite as bad but bad enough to call and tell there story and ask some questions. And what about the people that don't get on the computer and 'google' after something like this happens to them. No telling how many it's actually happened to. I hope this may makes everyone aware as the upcoming hunting season approaches and how we can never be to safe.
Reply