Turkey season is right around the corner, so it’s time to brush up on your calling and ensure you have all the equipment necessary to track down and kill that big gobbler.
And you can learn everything you need to know during a free turkey-hunting event at Bowie Outfitters this Saturday (Feb. 28). Sessions begin at 10 a.m. and continue until 2 p.m.
Topics to be covered include turkey gear, preparing for the hunt, calling, bow-hunting gobblers, understanding turkeys and how to hunt them, predators and what to do after the hunt.
And time will be allotted to visit the expert presenters and ask questions. There will even be a discussion of favorite wild turkey recipes.
This is the tentative schedule:
1) 10-10:30 a.m. — Experts available for questions.
2) 10:30-11 a.m. — Turkey gear and preparing to be a hunter:
- A. Shotgun and ammo options
- B. Sighting in your gun and desired pattern
- C. Realistic, ethical distances for shots
- D. Camo clothing for the hunter
- E. Safety (clothing, decoys, blines, calling)
3) 11-11:30 a.m. — Visit the experts
4) 11:30 a.m.-noon — Turkey vocalizations and calls:
- A. Turkey vocalizations and what they mean
- B. Types of turkey calls (pots, boxes, mouth calls, scratch boxes/wing bones)
5) Noon-12:15 p.m. — Turkey hunting with a bow and arrow
6) 12:15-12:30 p.m. — Predators
7) 12:30-1 p.m. — Understanding turkeys and how to hunt them:
- A. Locating the bird
- B. Using decoys
- C. How to hunt woods and fields
- D. Hunting through the day
- E. How weather impacts turkey hunting
- F. Seldom-used tricks and tactics
8) 1-1:30 p.m. — Visit the experts
9) 1:30-2 p.m. — After the hunt:
- A. How to score a turkey
- B. Habitat
- C. Favorite recipes.
Bowie Outfitters is located at 8630 Perkins Road in Baton Rouge, and can be contacted at 225-766-1200.