The Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest wrapped up Sunday afternoon, with two of the Pelican State’s finest deer leading the way.
Frank Sullivan’s beautiful West Feliciana non-typical buck was officially scored at 198 ⅜ inches, taking first place in the Louisiana Bow division and qualifying for both the Pope and Young and Boone & Crockett all-time records.
Amanda Smith’s giant Avoyelles Parish non-typical “Rougarou buck” took first place in the Louisiana Gun division, officially scoring 226 2/8 inches, making it the No. 5-ranked non-typical ever harvested by gun in the state.
“I thought the quality of the racks was good, with the Louisiana Gun and Bow winners being exceptional,” said Dave Moreland, the contest coordinator and former deer study leader for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. “It was easy to see that Avoyelles Parish is certainly the big-buck parish in the state.
“Overall, I thought it was a good showing of deer from the 2017 season, and quite a few bucksqualified for the Louisiana recognition program, and several will make the Mississippi Magnolia Records program.”
Each of the eight category winners received a plaque and a gift certificate from Bowie’s Outfitters, and Jo Baham was selected in a random drawing from all entries and also won a Bowie’s gift certificate.
The contest was hosted by the Quality Deer Management Association's South Louisiana Branch.
The complete list of category winners, their scores and kill locations are:
Louisiana Gun Division
1. Amanda Smith - 226 2/8 inches non-typical (Avoyelles Parish)
2. Darren Dawes - 185 ⅛ inches non-typical (St. Landry Parish)
3. John Lafitte - 153 ⅞ inches typical (DeSoto Parish)
Louisiana Bow Division
1. Frank Sullivan - 198 ⅜ inches non-typical (West Feliciana Parish)
2. Eric Gilley - 160 ⅛ inches typical (Avoyelles Parish)
3. Geoffrey Henry - 183 ⅞ inches non-typical (Richland Parish)
Mississippi Bow Division
1. Christopher Welch - 132 ⅞ inches typical (Jefferson County)
2. Jon Baham - 125 ⅜ inches typical
Mississippi Gun Division
1. Dylan Cadby - 165 4/8 inches typical (Hinds County)
2. Ed Foley - 145 inches typical (Jefferson County)
3. Logan Foley - 139 4/8 inches typical (Jefferson County)
Out-of-State Gun Division
1. Tony Starkey - 166 inches typical (Kentucky)
2. Jared Mack - 136 4/8 inches typical (Texas)
3. Arthur Kroatz III - 131 ⅝ inches typical (Arkansas)
Out-of-State Bow Division
1. Jarred Baye - 159 2/8 inches typical (Kansas)
2. Casey Hebert - 146 6/8 inches typical (Illinois)
3. Glenn Atwood - 144 ⅞ inches typical (Nebraska)
1. Wayne Rogers - 140 4/8 inches typical (Avoyelles Parish)
2. Adam Aucrett - 139 6/8 inches typical (Mississippi)
3. Warren Walker - 132 4/8 inches typical (Madison Parish)
1. Kirsten Coates - 128 ⅝ inches typical (Avoyelles Parish)
2. Clay Fontenot - 128 inches typical (Mississippi)
3. Clayton Pourceau - 127 ⅛ inches typical (West Baton Rouge Parish)