Trying to keep this post up for those who just got their letter today, tomorrow, or monday. Houseboats at the WMA are being cancelled. Here is my opinion of that letter. There is also another thread called no more house boats. There is some comments on that one as well. Lets get our ducks in a row and get this fixed.
#1) Thanks for the heads up, a month before they are to be moved & 2 months before teal season. This makes no sense what so ever for that lame letter.
2) Makes no sense whatsoever on the lack due to poor conditions at the designated mooring locations and lack of staffing/funding to maintain the sites and supervise the program. If you are going to have tents, you still have to cut the grass; with tents means people so the crap cans will have to be maintained; and last time i checked there was no bellhop or desk clerk checking me in and out of the management area getting paid salary or by the hour. Funding could be resolved by asking those to moore to pay a fee to go into that area and that area alone for upkeep. I would pay that to keep my houseboat there year around to enjoy that area all year long.
3) Poor Conditions? Last i checked you stay on the houseboat majority of the time, as long as you have something to tie up to who cares what the landscape looks like, and don't know about you but my houseboat sits on water. I know the water changes, but last year on the last weekend i jumped off into the water to try to retrieve my GPS and had to swim down 10' to the bottom. No silt there, what they think comes through there, a carnival cruise ship?
4) A couple of years ago, they tried shutting down the AMA down at 2:00 like the rest of the MA's. They held a meeting which many people showed up to and we squashed it. How come a meeting was not held, and the public notified as all state budgets and salaries come from Tax Payers dollars. I'm no lawyer, and have no clue for the most part, but there must be some form of 'Due Process/Procedure' in this matter. I know there has to be atleast one lawyer that has a houseboat and hunts in this area.
5) If you really want to get this thing changed, send an email to Jimmy Anthony who wrote the letter. JAnthony@WLF.La.gov
is his email address. Also there are monthly meetings held every month on the 1st Thursday of the Month at 9:30am at the Quail Run Baton Rouge office. Also in the 'no more house boats' thread is the name of the political figure with his info for that area. Even thou we may not all be from that area, it is important to let those in political office that we take part in the economy of that area by buying fuel, food, and other things in that parish. The more they hear from people, the better of a chance we can get some help. Help get the word out to people you know who use this area. Even those who use tents. There has been atleast a handful of times were people stopped and got on my house boat when the weather got ruff. More than just houseboat people will be affected.
6) In dealing with this issue, according to cassidy's secretary, most people have been really nice since she's just answering the phones, but some people have been @$$e$. Don't be, be respectful and let's resolve this issue with intellect. Hope this gets resolved so that the season coming soon will be great.