Get all knotted up — with the slim beauty knot
A 'how-to-tie' guide for some of the most popular fishing knots
The slim beauty is a great knot to use to join together two different kinds of line with differing diameters.
EDITOR’S NOTE: With fishing action ramping up, we thought now would be a great time to highlight several basic fishing knots that can be used by a variety of anglers.
Last week we highlighted the blood knot.
Today we tackle the slim beauty.
Read the instructions below, then watch the accompanying video for great step-by-step visuals.
The slim beauty is perfect for joining together two different diameter lines made of different materials. It’s strong and relatively easy to tie, and some people find it a convenient alternative to the Bimini twist knot.
Remember to always moisten your line before pulling it tight, especially for fluorocarbon line that’s easily damaged by heat from friction.
How to tie a slim beauty knot:
1. Form a loop in the leader line, making two wraps inside the loop to tie a double overhand knot.
2. Slowly pull the leader line from both ends until it forms a figure-eight in the loop.
3. Pass about 8-10 inches of the tag end of your braided mainline through both loops in the figure-eight.
4. Moisten the figure eight knot. Then pull both ends of the leader line to tighten the figure-eight around the braided mainline.
5. Wrap the braided mainline around the leader line eight times going up.
6. Then eight times on top of the first wraps going back down.
7. Tuck the tag end of the braided mainline into the first loop between the leader and mainline.
8. Moisten and steadily pull the tag end to tighten. Trim tag ends.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
Louisiana Sportsman is the complete hunting and fishing magazine for Louisiana.
Devoted to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities in the wetlands,
Louisiana Sportsman is the information guide for Louisiana's most active hunters and fishermen.
Tweets by @LAhuntnfish