Sometimes it's just your time. Lady Luck showers her blessing upon you, and you just can't do anything wrong.
This year's Louisiana Sportsman Show was that time for 12-year-old Jonathon Burns of Napoleonville.
"I shot the (Cabela's) archery (shoot) and won first place," the youngster said.
Then he learned the Texas buck he entered into the Louisiana Sportsman Big Buck Contest won the out-of-state gun division.
"My uncle said, 'Now all you have to win is that bike,'" Burns said of the Yamaha Grizzly 350 up for grabs in a random drawing from among all entrants in the Louisiana Big Buck Contest.
Go ahead: Take a guess. Yeah, Burns' name was pulled when that drawing was held.
"I'd say he had an awesome weekend," father Alan Burns said.
Dave Moreland, retired Deer Program leader and Big Buck Contest coordinator, said the quality of the deer submitted during this year's Big Buck Contest was excellent.
"Overall, the quality is good," Moreland said. "I would say that we probably had 20 plus deer that would be recognized on the Louisiana Recognition Program through the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.
"That tells us our program is working. Herds have to be healthy to grow a good set of antlers. It's just another indication that things are OK with the state's deer herds."
Category winners, the scores and location where the kills were made were:
1. James Jowers of Elmer — 147 4/8 inches, typical (Tensas Parish)
2. Chris Krampe of Lafayette — 161 4/8 inches, non-typical (Avoyelles Parish)
3. Bryan Tanner of Prairieville — 111 inches, typical (West Feliciana Parish)
4. Troy Aldridge of Prairieville — 109 2/8 inches, typical (West Feliciana Parish)
1. Ramona Curole of Cut-Off — 168 4/8 inches, typical (Union Parish)
2. Alex LeBlanc of Opelousas — 193 3/8 inches, non-typical (St. Landry Parish)
3. Philip Major of Ventress — 183 4/8 inches, non-typical (Pointe Coupee Parish)
4. Mary Jones of DeRidder — 152 2/8 inches, typical (Beauregard)
1. David Saale of Port Allen — 129 6/8 inches, typical (West Feliciana Parish)
2. David Saale of Port Allen — 123 5/8 inches , typical (West Feliciana Parish)
3. David Saale of Port Allen — 103 6/8 inches, typical (West Feliciana Parish)
4. William Milliard of Baton Rouge — 92 2/8 inches, typical (East Baton Rouge Parish)
1. KaSandra Aime of Denham Springs — 133 2/8 inches, typical (St. Helena Parish)
2. Madison Graham of Slaughter — 117 5/8 inches, typical (East Feliciana Parish)
3. Dylan Jacob of Paulina — 113 inches, typical (Adams County, Miss.)
4. Evan Brady of LaPlace — 107 7/8 inches, typical (St. John Parish)
Out of State/Bow Division
1. Eric Granier of Baton Rouge — 163 inches, typical (Kansas)
2. Tammy Lemoine of Mansura — 189 inches, non-typical (Nebraska)
3. Grant Harris of St. Amant — 141 3/8 inches, typical (Kansas)
4. Eric Landry of Thibodaux — 127 5/8 inches, typical (Illinois)
Out of State/ Gun Division
1. Jonathon Burns of Napoleonville — 119 3/8 inches, typical (Texas)
2. Lane Dudly of Denham Srpings — 118 4/8 inches, typical (Texas)
3. Jay Hatcher of Gonzales — 101 5/8 inches, typical (Texas)
4. Landen Lieux of St. Amant — 90 7/8 inches, typical (Miss.)
Mississippi Bow Division
1. Jeff Cleveland of Denham Springs — 108 inches, typical (Wilkinson County)
Mississippi Gun Division
1. Bill Marcello of Thibodaux — 141 6/8 inches, typical (Yazoo County)
2. Eric Jacob of Paulina — 131 4/8 inches, typical (Adams County)
3. Ronnie Haggard of Gonzales — 130 5/8 inches, typical (Adams County)
4. Neil Roper of Paulina — 124 4/8 inches, typical (Franklin County)