Five tactical considerations
This pond surrounded by trees was a perfect location for hunting Atchafalaya Basin wood ducks.
• Like teal, woodies are early fliers. Take advantage of the lower, almost twilight conditions. Set up along the edges of narrow sloughs or bayous in known flight routes with your wood duck decoys smack dab in the middle of an opening. Though a very elusive and shy bird, this is the time when wood ducks are most vulnerable.
• Learn to blow a teal call. Doing a little squealing at first light can make the difference in getting their attention.
• Do not overdo it with large spreads of decoys. Broussard even said not to overdo it with things like spinning decoys that birds have seen up and down the flyway.
• Like in a meeting, turn your cell phones off or place them on vibrate before legal shooting light. Besides the noise from weird rings and music, the light emitted from cell phones can spook a wood duck in those twilight moments.
• Cover up and donít spare the natural vegetation. Wood ducks are skittish and see extremely well. Extra vegetation can go a long way to improving success.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
Louisiana Sportsman is the complete hunting and fishing magazine for Louisiana.
Devoted to hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities in the wetlands,
Louisiana Sportsman is the information guide for Louisiana's most active hunters and fishermen.
|Reports / Forum|
Calendar of events